Menu

Friday 15 August 2014

CURRENT DIVIDER RULE

CURRENT DIVIDER RULE

Resistors in series, receive the same current flow in a circuit from a voltage source. For example in figure 1 bellow;









Figure 1
R1 and R2 and in series and the same current I is passing through them.
we can deduce that; 

RT= R1 +R2 (resultant of resistors in series)
Conversely, for resistors connected in parallel, they share the current flow depending on their resistance value. Note that current tends to flow towards path of least resistance.

Let’s buttress this further with example in figure 2.






Figure 2
In figure 2, R1||R2, current I, is divided at the node and I1 flows into R1 and I2 into R2

That is, I = I1 +I2.
The circuit in figure 2a can be redrawn and represented with the circuit in figure 2b, as RT is resultant resistance of R1 and R2 in the circuit.

We can see that;  Vin = IRT

Remember that Vin = VR1= VR2 (voltage in parallel) SeeVOLTAGE DIVIDER 
Also that;
        






 ....................(1a)

likewise for I2,

......................(1b)

1a and 1b is known as Current divider rule.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop your comment here, thanks.